Constitution Day is coming! Since kindergarteners are so young, the concept of the Constitution is a big, tough concept to understand. Most Kindergarten students know that they should love our country, that the flag is a symbol of our country, and that our flag is red, white, and blue and that there are laws that we have to follow. These very basic concepts will be the springboard for my Constitution Day instruction. This year’s lesson will have a patriotic spin with this super-cute (and easy) red, white, and blue hat project.
- 4×18″ strips of red construction paper (1 per student)
- 4×6″ pieces of red construction paper (1 per student)
- 4×1.5″ strips of white construction paper (about 8 per student)
- 9×12″ sheets of blue construction paper
- Stapler (teacher)
- Glue sticks and scissors (students)
Instructions for Prep
- Copy star page onto blue construction paper (see download for the master copy)
- The 4×18″ strips of red paper will not be large enough to fit around the head of most students. Extend this piece by stapling a 4×6″ strip of paper to each long strip
Create the Headband
- Distribute stapled red strips to students with 1.5×4″ strips of white paper.
- Students will glue the white pieces vertically onto the red headband. Leave an inch or so of space between the white pieces to resemble stripes.
- Students will each cut out blue paper stars and glue them onto the headband.
- Once complete, the teacher will wrap the band around each students head, bring the two ends together to determine the right fit, and staple the headband closed
You can download a template and a set of printable instructions for a Patriotic Headband for FREE! Enter your email below to have the craft sent right to your inbox!
Other Monday plans for my classroom include discussing symbols of our country and learning a little about the Constitution. The headband serves as a fun springboard into all of it!
Happy Constitution Day!