Hello lovelies! I am so excited to share my newest DIY project for the classroom with all of you. My new batch of Kinders come to see me in 17 days and I have been very busy planning some fun updates to my classroom decor. This week I finally stepped out of the planning stages and began to DO some decorating. I made this beautiful banner to add a little color to the shelf-to-ceiling windows that run the length of my classroom.
The inspiration for this little project came from the adorable bunting that Tara at 4th Grade Frolics created for her classroom.
I had saved up a TON of dust jackets from my hardcover children’s books. I wasn’t saving them for anything special- I just didn’t want to throw such pretty covers away and they cause too much hassle in my classroom when they fall off of the books my kinders are trying to read. Add some ribbon, a hot glue gun with plenty of fresh glue sticks, and some scissors and I was ready to go. (Access to a laminator was helpful as well.)
Preparing for this project was very simple. I trimmed the flaps and back covers from all of the dust jackets so all that remained was the cute front cover. Then I took all of the covers, laminated them, and cut them out of the laminate.
The final step before I began to construct the banner was arranging the order of each book cover. I laid each cover out in a line across the floor and planned their arrangement in the banner. My goal was to achieve balance: in color, in size, and in orientation. Once all of the covers were in a line, I carefully moved them around to evenly disperse the colors displayed in each cover. I was also attentive to the fact that books are different sizes and I tried to keep the various sizes staggered throughout. The final detail I took note of during this stage was page orientation. Most of these covers were portrait (they went up and down), but a few were landscape (side to side). I was careful about keeping the landscape oriented covers evenly dispersed as well.
Once I was ready to begin construction, I used hot glue to attach ribbon along the top edge of each book cover (leaving about 2″ of ribbon between) each cover. After gluing the front, I turned the banner over, and glued another line of ribbon along the back of each cover (for added reinforcement). I also glued the two pieces of ribbon together in the space between each cover. When the gluing was complete, I tied brightly colored ribbon onto the ends of the banner, as well as a few spaces between the book covers to add a little decorative flair.
I created a video tutorial for you to guide you through the entire process of creating a book cover banner for my classroom. I’m also thrilled to finally have another opportunity to share with you while sitting in FRONT of the camera.
The Finished Product
Here are a few more pictures of my finished book banner. I love having a bright splash of color hanging in my window, and the fact that it features beloved stories for children makes the banner even more wonderful!